As you all may know Linux is an amazing Operating System and it is open source. Linux being the most used operating system in the world apart from desktop use is an extremely good operating system for programmers. So here, I am going to show you the best Linux laptops for developers!
Programming on Linux is very easy and it has a lot of tools which programmers can utilize. Linux being an open source project is loved by programmers, so I am going to show you the best Linux Laptops for developers. But before driving into the laptops recommendations , let me tell you why you should use Linux as your programming operating system.
Why you should use Linux for Programming?
Since Linux is open source. so that way, you can know more about the programming world as the open source world loves programmers. The other thing is that using Linux and getting to know the Linux shell and command line more can help you in many programming languages. Also, the Linux Operating systems available are pretty light as compared to Windows or Mac. So, all these things in mind, you have very solid reasons to use Linux in your developing machine.
So if you are one of these people who are looking for the best Linux laptops for Developers in this year 2018 so you are in the right place. Here, I am going to show you the best Linux laptops that you developers can get in a good price range.
Which Linux Operating System You Use for Programming?
So, before selecting a laptop, you can choose from the operating systems that the Linux world has. Linux itself is a kernel and there are many operating systems which use this kernel and build an operating system around it. There are many good Linux operating systems out there but the ones that you should go for, are those which have good repositories i.e (available software) and good support as well. In my opinion, Ubuntu, Debian, and Arch Linux are good for developers as they have good support as well the software needed for developers.
Of course, you can select Linux Mint and Manjaro Linux too as they are the derivatives of Ubuntu and Arch Linux respectively. Linux is an open world and there is a lot of freedom of choice.
Now, let me tell you in detail that which Operating systems should you select for your next linux laptop as a developer before jumping into laptops.
Reasons to Select Ubuntu :
Though, you would be not unfamiliar about Ubuntu. It is the most used Linux operating system in desktops and many people love its nice and easy design. But if you are a developer so Ubuntu is a good choice to go for because of these reasons :
- Ubuntu has a very huge software repository and you can find many of the software and tools for your developing in there. There are a lot of IDEs and programming editors in its software repository which would help you in your programming. Also, it has a tremendous amount of support as compared to other Linux Operating Systems.
- Ubuntu is easy to use and manipulate around. It is a stable OS and will not easily break so this is also a plus point for you because you don’t want to lose your programming work and projects in case of a breakup.
- The addition of snap packages. Snap packages are those software that are of the latest version and you can install them in Ubuntu. Now, you would ask of me why Snaps? So, it is because Ubuntu usually has a strict release model and some software might not be in the latest version in its repositories, so Snap packages are the alternatives to that software as they are in latest version. Many times, developers do need latest version of software i.e an IDE or maybe a programming language itself. So Snap does the task for you here.
- Well, since the Ubuntu itself on its website says that it is made for developers so I’m sure they have a good amount of support for it too in case you need something and believe me, Ubuntu’s support is the largest in all of Linux community. There are many places where you can ask about support like askubuntu and ubuntuforums. The Ubuntu IRC is a good place to go as well
So that was Ubuntu, now let me tell you about Debian, though Debian will have almost the same qualities as Ubuntu since Ubuntu is based on Debian but let me tell what I think about it.
Reasons to Select Debian as your Linux Programming Operating System :
Now Debian is an operating system that is the parent of Ubuntu, Linux Mint and many other distributions. Ubuntu being dependant on the Debian codebase is also a child operating system of Debian. Your reasons to select Debian as your programming go to machine according to me are :
- Rock solid system as it gets! Debian is rock solid. It is a very stable distribution having a rock solid base which won’t break easily.
- It has a very huge repository which means you can get a lot of programming tools, software, ides etc in them. It has a great repository among all Linux distributions.
- You can get much support for Debian and if you face any issue, you can google it and get your job done. Many times, the Ubuntu forums and askubuntu are good go to sites for your help too.
- You love Debian as it’s one of the oldest distributions.
So these were my reasons of choosing Debian. If you like Debian then surely go for it.
Now, next is Arch Linux. Well, you might be aware of this Do it yourself distro, but if you are not so I am going to tell you about it.
Reasons to Choose Arch Linux as your Programming Machine :
Arch Linux is one of these distros that many geeky people. It is a distro that hardly follows the do it yourself rule! From installing to setting up your machine, you have to do everything yourself in order to get it working. You have to stitch everything yourself from installing kernel to installing a desktop environment.
I think the reasons for you to select Arch Linux as your programming OS are :
- Arch Linux is a distribution where you get everything at the bleeding edge i.e all of your software is always updated to the latest version very soon than other distros. You can in fact choose to not update that often but it is up to you. That means you get the new version of every software you need i.e programming editors, IDEs, programming languages etc.
- You can tailor make the environment you need in Arch Linux and remove every other unnecessary things that you don’t want or like. You can make it according to your needs. You can make it efficient for the programming you want to do. You can set up an environment which is perfect for the programming language that you want to work on.
- Using Arch Linux, you can get to know the Linux and its working better and your shell awareness will increase which will help you in your programming too. It is because you can get to know the command line better.
Well, that was all I think that why you should choose Arch Linux as your programming distribution. If you like those reasons, then you should go for it. Although, I would give you a fair warning that Arch Linux might break more as compared to other distros because of its release model and staying at the bleeding edge. If you are not much familiar with Linux, then Arch Linux is not the choice for you.
Let me tell you an alternative to Arch Linux which will give you the bleeding edge software and some stability too. Here, Manjaro comes into the scene!
Reasons for you to opt for Manjaro as your Progamming System :
Manjaro is a distribution which is based on Arch Linux but it is more stable as compared to Arch. It adds a stability layer to the Arch Linux. It tests the software pulled from the Arch Linux repository before making it available to the user, thus fixing most of the breaking issues. As people say, Manjaro is like Ubuntu to Arch so that is sort of true because using Manjaro, you can get a distribution that is at bleeding edge but also stable.
I think the reasons for you to select Manjaro in your next programming laptop are :
- Stability to Arch Linux. As I said earlier, using Manjaro you will get a system that is stable yet at somehow bleeding edge. So that’s a very good point for you because you can get all of the latest programming editors and software without the worry of a broken system.
- You will get all the benefits of Arch Linux in your system. Like the pacman which is the Arch Linux package manager etc.
- You will have the access to the AUR as well. So for example, if you need any piece of programming software that isn’t available in the manjaro’s repositories, you can always use pacman to search for it in the Arch User Repository. Believe me, you will find many software there!
So this was what I think that why you should choose Manjaro as your programming distribution in the next laptop you are going to buy.
Now, everything aside, lets get back to the topic of :
Best Linux laptops list for developers in 2018:
Dell XPS 9350 Laptop :
The dell XPS 9350 is a great laptop. It has a 13.3 inch display and is a perfect laptop for programming. You can easily install a Linux operating system on it. It’s really fast and can be used as your next Linux laptop for programming. It has an intel 6th generation core i5 processor i.e the 6200u processor. It comes with a builtin 520 Intel graphics display and 8 GB DDR3 RAM. Although, you have the choice to select 4 GB RAM or more. You can also decide to get a larger SSD with it i.e 256 GB SSD or 1 TB SSD. It has different options for you on the amazon website and you can tweak your product specifications there.
It comes by default with the Windows 10 Home 64 bit operating system. But you can easily dual boot a Linux operating system with it so that you get a Linux based laptop for your programming needs.
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E470 :
The Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 470 is another great laptop that can be used by you for programming. It has a maximum display of 1366×768. It also comes with the intel 6th generation core i5 process i.e 6300u. It has 4 GB DDR3 RAM and 500 GB Hard Disk. The hard disk is of 7200 rpm. You have the choice to select Windows 10 Professional or 7 Professional as the default operating system when you are buying the laptop on Amazon. And it has a 14 inch display. So, likewise, you can easily dual boot a Linux operating system in it i.e Ubuntu, Arch Linux etc. It doesn’t ship with Linux but can be easily tuned to a perfect Linux laptop for your developing needs.
Dell Precision 5520 :
This is another great laptop that you can use for programming. It is basically made for school and work needs. The great thing about it is that you can ask the manufacturer’s to install Linux in it and you can save the extra cost of Windows. This laptop comes with an i7 7th generation processor i.e 7820 HQ. This processor is really great and you can google the benchmark of it to get to know how much powerful it is. It supports upto 32 GB of RAM and you can choose the amount of RAM you want while ordering it. Also, it comes with an NVIDA Quadro M1200 dedicated gpu which is great if you also want to do gaming or other graphics extensive work. The operating system with which it comes is Windows 10 Professional, but as I said you can save the money of operating system by telling them to preinstall Ubuntu or any other Linux operating system.
Lenovo ThinkPad T470s Laptop
This is another great laptop that you can use as your Linux programming machine. It has pretty good specifications i.e a 14 inch display with an intel 7th generation core i5 processor (7220u). You can choose the amount of RAM you want in it ranging from 8 GB to 24 GB. Also, the great thing about it is that you can choose the processor as well on Amazon. They give different options for the processor. So you can have the one you want. The operating system with which it comes is Windows 10 Professional.
You can easily dual boot a Linux operating system with it so you get a Linux laptop for your programming purpose. This is one of the best Linux laptops available in the market for developers since it gives you a wide range of tweaking options.
Over to You :
These were some of the best laptops that developers can use for programming under Linux. If you think that any other laptop apart from these should also be in this list, so do tell me in the comment box below. Also, if I have missed some reasons for choosing Linux as your programming machine so do tell me. In the end, I am going to say that Linux is one amazing operating system and you should use it more to know about it. Happy Programming one Linux!